[Techtalk] Newbie needs advice

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Sun Nov 30 19:25:17 UTC 2008

On 2008-Nov-29, at 7:20 PM, Juliet Halloran wrote:
> 1)    What is a good version of Linux to use and learn from?

What I usually recommend is that for your first distro, you use
something that at least one of your friends uses if possible.  Not to
say that all distros are equal, but when you're learning, the
subtleties aren't nearly as important as having a friend who can help
you if you get mixed up and need help. :)

That said, if you're aiming towards linux certifications, you should
take a look at what distros are commonly used there.   CompTIA says
it's vendor neutral, but you might want to go with an obvious one just
to make it easier for you to come up with the answer they think is
right. ;)   I think Redhat and maybe Novell are the most popular ones
for certs nowadays?

  Terri