[Techtalk] How to block ports

Vonda vtrucs at gmail.com
Fri May 16 22:11:28 UTC 2008

Carla Schroder wrote:

> On a bit of a tangent, but perhaps still useful, man iptables is totally
> unhelpful for learning iptables. Even so, iptables basics aren't that hard to
> figure out, if you ever decide you want to dig into it. The key is ignoring
> the whizbang gurus who like to spend their days writing overcomplicated rules
> for every last little thing, and just concentrate on the fundamentals. Oskar
> Andreasson's tutorial is good
> http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/
>
> And of course I modestly recommend my own Linux Networking Cookbook, which has
> a fabulous chapter devoted to iptables firewalls.
>
> For simple needs, Firestarter is great. It's what I recommend for folks who
> want something basic and easy, and works right.
>
> Carla

Fabulous, eh?  Gotta check that out.  I'll love to get a headlock on
iptables.  Sweet revenge.

Firestarter's great.  But - that's the one where all the hits were
contributing to the paranoia that had me checking netstat, then running
and screaming, etc.  Nice to know it wasn't just ushering in those
Chinese addys and showing them right to the back door, after all.
Shieldsup shows everything's stealthed too.  It's just that the hits
just keep on comin.

Vonda