[Techtalk] How to block ports

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Fri May 16 21:47:25 UTC 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008 2:29:07 pm Vonda wrote:
> Hello, Carla,
>

> Ruh-roh - now my eqo hurts.   That looks just like my netstat output
> (not actual addresses) .  Good catch!
>

> Vonda

Heh, no worries. It's always better to ask, it's not like we're born knowing
this guff.

On a bit of a tangent, but perhaps still useful, man iptables is totally
unhelpful for learning iptables. Even so, iptables basics aren't that hard to
figure out, if you ever decide you want to dig into it. The key is ignoring
the whizbang gurus who like to spend their days writing overcomplicated rules
for every last little thing, and just concentrate on the fundamentals. Oskar
Andreasson's tutorial is good
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/

And of course I modestly recommend my own Linux Networking Cookbook, which has
a fabulous chapter devoted to iptables firewalls.

For simple needs, Firestarter is great. It's what I recommend for folks who
want something basic and easy, and works right.

Carla

--
Carla Schroder

many more Linux howtos at