[Techtalk] package hell

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Wed May 7 05:55:47 UTC 2008

Hello,

Since there is no actual xemacs in lenny (debian testing), I tried to
compile xemacs myself, and have now have a half-working xemacs. I would
like to uninstall the package, but I'm really not sure how to do this.
The xemacs site claims that there is a pkginfo/MANIFEST.pkgname file
that has a list of all of the files, but I don't have that. I think that
must be for pre-compiled packages. Assuming that I get it removed, I
would also like to know the best way to deal with the lack of xemacs.
I'm getting the feeling that I should edit sources.list to allow stable
packages, and download xemacs from stable, but I am a little nervous
about having both enabled. How does the package manager know which
distribution to get which files from?

thanks,
maria