[Techtalk] smartmontools

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Thu May 1 02:36:12 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Wim De Smet <kromagg at gmail.com> wrote:

>  That does not sound right. Probably it's just a configuration issue.

if it helps, ...  installed g++, did apt-get and installed
smartmontools, unpacked and configured it.

>  I'm not sure how the package is set up but have a look at
>  /etc/default/ to see if there's any smartmontools settings file. It

its not in /etc/default

>  could also be a simple problem with needing to set it up in the normal
>  config file in /etc/.

/etc has the hdparm.conf file
but i wonder why it needs to be executed manually? shouldnt it work as a daemon?

>  I'm not sure what you mean here. Windows vista has its own smart
>  monitoring capability. smartmontools are basically a bunch of programs
>  that read out information available from your hard drive. If smart is
>  enabled on the drive in the bios, windows will probably read this
>  information too.

... I assumed grub had more power that it actually does, my bad :)

--
Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com ||