[Techtalk] Asus EeePC

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Mon Jun 23 03:34:12 UTC 2008

First off: My humblest apologies to Lana. I thought this was going to
the group.

Playing, playing, playing.

I used the synaptic thing and installed one piece of software that I
do/will want on it. Gramps. It doesn't put an icon anywhere and so far I
haven't found how to add one. Kind of a pain to have to start it from
terminal.

Also discovered there's a way to just get the KDE desktop rather than
the icewm, or whatever it is. I haven't tried it yet. I think what's
there would be fine once you get rid of that childish PDA desktop. At
least that's what it reminds me of, my Palm PDA.

 > Addendum
 > Did the "advanced Desktop" thing. I like it a LOT better. It's
 > supposed to be easy to revert to the original "easy Desktop" if you
 > want to. I may never find out, but I suppose I will HAVE to try it
 > just to see if it works at some point. *<[:oD

I downloaded the Eeebuntu and the script to load it onto a USB dongle.
I've got to get a dongle 'cause I don't want to mess with the one I
have. Figure I will run it live for a time or two to see what happens.
After that, who knows.

Yesterday I picked up an 8gig SD card and upped the memory to 1gig. Is
there some way to move my home directory to the new card?

I've got a 120gig laptop drive in a USB case, but that adds 'extra" to
the laptop. Could use it for storage once in a while but wouldn't want
to have to have it all the time.

So far so good. Haven't managed to kill it yet. *<[:oD