[Techtalk] Not able to view taskbar!!!

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Wed Jun 18 08:12:24 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:26:15AM +0530 or thereabouts, priya venkateshan wrote:
> Hi,
> I have Ubuntu Hardy installed, with gnome desktop environment. All of
> a sudden when I booted my system this morning, I'm unable to view my
> taskbar or the menubar!
> Rebooting is of no use.

Log out of X and switch to a text console with <CTRL><ALT><F1> and login
there.  Now do 'ls -a' and look for directories like
.gnome
.gnome2
.gnome2_private

These contain your personal gnome settings.  You could try renaming these
which should return gnome to a default state.  If that works, you should
look within those directories for any settings you might want to keep though
it would probably be easier just to re-create the settings within Gnome.
In particular, .gnome2/keyrings contains your gnome keyring so you may be
asked to set that up again and to remember all of your ssh / wireless
keys/passphrases...

Conor
--
Conor Daly,
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

Ta an riomhphost seo, agus aon chomhad ata nasctha leis, faoi run agus is don te a seoladh chuige amhain e. Ma tharla go bhfuair tu an riomhphost seo tri dhearmad cuir in iul don te a sheol e led' thoil.

Ta an teachtaireacht riomhphoist seo scuabtha le bogearrai frithvireas.