[Techtalk] hot laptop

Jennifer oneferna at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 01:46:38 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I have Ubuntu 8.04, Hardy Heron, installed on my laptop and it seems to run
very hot. It's 2 yr old laptop, a HP pavilion dv2000.

I don't know where to began figuring out why. But I did go to ubuntuforums
and found this
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=763450&highlight=hardy+heron+hot+laptop
sudo sysctl vm.swappiness=0

What do you think, should I try it? If not, any suggestions? I'm been
running with diff linux distros on different laptop for years, but I don't
recall this ever happening before.

One other thing, I did turn off Compix and checked top, nothing stood out.
Just firefox and thunderbird chuggin along.

Thanks!