[Techtalk] dual core motherboard

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Tue Jul 22 07:51:13 UTC 2008

Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Maria McKinley wrote:
>> Does one have to use both processor sockets on a dual core motherboard?
>>

> Eeuuuhhh........
>
> dual-core means, as far as i know, two cores in one package, so only one
> processor socket?
>
> On boards for dual processor, thus two packages each having only one
> core potentially with HyperThreading), you can leave one socket unused.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rudy

This was a weird one. Take a look at the pictures for this motherboard
at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182077

If you look at the image viewer, you will see a couple of pictures of
the motherboard, and it looks like there is one cpu socket. But if you
look at the picture of the box, the motherboard on the box has two cpus.
If you then look at the supermicro site, it also has the single cpu
socket. Go figure. You can probably see why I got confused, and by the
end assumed dual core must mean two processors, although now I realize
that was silly.

Of course, maybe I'll open the box now and find just one socket...

thanks for the help,
maria