[Techtalk] User mounting of a NTFS partition

R. Daneel Olivaw linuxchix at r-daneel.com
Thu Jul 10 20:50:32 UTC 2008

> /dev/sda2               /Data                   vfat    rw,noauto,user  0 0
> /dev/sda1               /Vista                  ntfs    rw,noauto,user  0 0

> So upon reading, I decided to try it ro.  Same outcome.  I tried owner
> rather than user with the same outcome.  The only way I can mount /Vista is
> as root.  And I really don't want to do that.  It's not mission critical.
> There isn't *that* much stuff on that partition I would need to access (just
> logs from some software I test) and I can always reboot into Vista. So how
> can I mount /Vista as myself?

Well, first, the above lines are correct. They should allow you to mount
the filesystem as a user.
Now, I wonder if you are able to mount /Data.
If it works, there is some strange bug.
If it fails also, I'd check the mount command that should have the
sticky bit set so the user that runs it gets root for that task.
Besides, are you able to mount anything else "by hand" as an ordinary
user ?

Read you soon,

R. Daneel Olivaw,
The Human Robot Inside.