[Techtalk] USB thumb drives -- VFAT vs Ext3 format

Deborah Gronke Bennett deborah at deborah.best.vwh.net
Wed Jul 9 02:14:22 UTC 2008

Well, I always use VFAT on my USB drives just so I can exchange data (or
pictures) between Windows and Linux. You may know these already, but I
follow a few rules with them.
On Windows, I always use the Add/Remove hardware dialog to quiesce the
USB drive before I remove it.
If I had a Windows machine that refused to unmount the drive, I would
shut down the system before removing the drive. Sometimes the shutdown
procedures will leave you with a cleaner filesystem than just the
add/remove dialog.
On Linux I always unmount the filesystem on the drive before removing
the device.

My apologies if you knew all of this already . . .

-deborah