[Techtalk] New OpenOffice bails out at 'Welcome to OpenOffice.org" screen

Isabelle Hurbain isabelle.hurbain at pasithee.fr
Tue Jul 8 13:21:04 UTC 2008

Le Thu, 3 Jul 2008 21:38:40 +0200,
Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net> a écrit :

Hi Michelle,

> Nice nice nice...
> If you where french, you will say: "Moi? - Apprend anglaise?"

Or, more probably "Moi ? Apprendre l'anglais ?", if you were to say that.

> It is a shame, since most peoples in french do not understand  a  second
> language, I mean specialy  english,  since  it  is  international.  They
> study Informatic, Electronic and what  else  and  do  not  understand  a
> singel word english...
>
> It is called "Education Nationale" and mean, FRECHCHIES ARE EDUCATED  IN
> FRANCE AND HAVE TO STAY HERE!  It is a  politic  of  nationalism.  China
> has learned very hard frome the Chinese-Wall-Error and now France repeat
> eaxactly the same thing...  which will result in a total isolation.

Probably not the only French woman here, but... I kind of feel offended by
your email.
I am French, I do think I speak and understand quite enough English to
communicate in a huge number of situations (especially professional and
technical), I also read German, and translate from English and German to
French.
That said, I'm clearly not "the average person in France" (especially since I
live in Switzerland, but that's another story ;) and only moved there a few
months ago.)
BUT it is not true that "French do not understand a single word of English".
Most kids are actually taught English + a second language (usually German or
Spanish) for a few years (at least 11 years old -> 18 years old, usually,
mileage may vary).
The French engineer diploma REQUIRES a decent level of English, usually
certified by an independant exam like TOEFL or TOEIC or IELTS or whatever -
you don't have this, you don't graduate, simple as that.

"Éducation nationale" just means "public, state school" (which, by
the way, usually are quite good). Don't see anything nationalist about that.
Far from that.

I don't feel comfortable with your email, that I find quite insulting for
my country's teachers, educating system and, well, basically, French people. I
do hope it's more a misunderstanding than anything else.

I don't know on which lists you're- I'm on -only and -talk, feel free to
continue the discussion there as techtalk probably isn't the most appropriate
list for this (/me waves to the admins, sorry, won't do that anymore)

Isa