[Techtalk] Adapters:US to AU

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Tue Jul 1 19:12:36 UTC 2008

Basic electrics

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 00:49:24 +0200
Michelle wrote:

|> Am 2008-06-28 17:41:08, schrieb Patricia Fraser:
|> > AU has 220V power; if you're wanting to use any other appliances
|> > (hair-dryer for instance), be aware that the voltage will be too
|high > > for them.
|>
|> Why? -- The hait would be turbo-dryed in less then 30 seconds...
|=8<O >

Watts = volts squared/resistance

since the resistance of the heating element does not change if we double
the voltage we 4 x the power (watts).

|> Double Voltage = Double Amperes = 2 tome the Power
|>
|> Hmmm...  My Philips has 1600Watt @230V which mean ...  :-)  6400 Watt

but you got it right in the end

the writing on my laptop power supply is too small to read, but I am
sure it says 220/110 volt input. better check it out though! BoooooM!

Anne