[Techtalk] openoffice and scribus

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Thu Jan 31 13:01:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 11:43:46AM +0100 or thereabouts, Chantal Rosmuller wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> One my customers publishes books. We are planning to migrate to openoffice and
> eventually to Linux desktops.
> Writing, editing and layout are all done in Microsoft Word. At the moment a
> pretty complex template is used to make sure the layout is maintained.
> We have already established that it is impossible to build a template with the
> same functionality for Openoffice. This is not a really big problem because
> the template is not 100% user friendly, but an alternative solution is needed
> before we can migrate to openoffice.
>
> As you can see we are still in the brainstorming phase. Any advise on this
> subject will be greatly appreciated.

Would their people be open to using Lyx (http://www.lyx.org/)?  Lyx looks
after layout and the people only need concern themselves with content.  Lyx
is a gui front end for Latex and can be used with a suitable book DTD and
template to enforce a style / layout.  Since this is what Latex is all
about, it should cope more easily with layout requirements than MS Office or
OOo do.

That said, I don't know if it can export data in a form suitable for use by
Scribus...

Conor
--
Conor Daly,
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

Ta an riomhphost seo, agus aon chomhad ata nasctha leis, faoi run agus is don te a seoladh chuige amhain e. Ma tharla go bhfuair tu an riomhphost seo tri dhearmad cuir in iul don te a sheol e led' thoil.

Ta an teachtaireacht riomhphoist seo scuabtha le bogearrai frithvireas.