[Techtalk] syslog question

Conor Daly conor.daly-linuxchix at cod.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 9 23:56:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 12:47:01PM -0800 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Maria McKinley thought:
> For some reason I am having difficulty finding the answer to this simple
> question. Where is it set which local in syslog belongs to which process?

This is pretty much wild speculation but I think it's the case that the
_process_ registers localx with the kernel or with syslog rather than
syslog assigning localx to the process.  Within syslog.conf, you can then
tell syslog what to do with localx output.

I'm not sure if more than one process can register localx or does each
process have to register localx, localy, localz.  It would seem logical
that two processes could register the same localx given that multiple
processes can use stuff like mail or secure in syslog.

Conor (guessing wildly...)
--
Conor Daly <conor.daly at cod.homelinux.org>
http://www.geekcode.com/ http://www.ebb.org/ungeek/