[Techtalk] RAID data recovery w/ hardware controller

Cynthia Kiser cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Feb 13 18:07:27 UTC 2008

Quoting Gina Feichtinger <geekgrrl at geekgrrl.priv.at>:
> > Also, i've found the beeping that ensues on a disk failure to be a very
> > usefull warning sign :)
>
> Since I don't have to visit the server room that often anymore it
> could take way longer for me to see/hear a failed disk in a HW RAID
> I think.

My 5 year old 3ware RAID card came with monitoring software that
emails me if there is an issue. The message is short enough that I
have that email sent to my SMS gateway so I get it on my cell phone. I
have no idea if my box beeps on HD failure as it has been a year or
two since my last disk hiccup. (now I have jinxed it)

--
Cynthia N. Kiser
cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu