[Techtalk] Slow booting since installing NFS daemons

Meryll Larkin alwanza at oz.net
Sun Dec 28 23:01:51 UTC 2008

I need to first confess that I am no expert and it seems to me that in
general, you have a better handle on what is going on than I do but....

I was wondering why you chose NFS for your mount instead of SAMBA?  I think
you were right in your original assessement that the difficulty may be due
to the fact that Debian and Ubuntu run different file systems.  Unless you
REALLY have a bad superblock (an fsck would find that) on your laptop, I
think the problem is that reiser is having a hard time mounting to an ext3
directory.  Hmmm, I wonder if the lost+found dir could be a problem....

I think of NFS as being the right tool for mounting like-file systems on
machines that rarely get rebooted (maybe once per month for updates).  I
think of Samba as the right tool for mounting different file systems and/or
where one of them gets rebooted or unattached on a regular basis.

Meryll