[Techtalk] Need Help : Debian SID & Java

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 15:48:00 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 7:09 AM, Figaro <ynegorp at charter.net> wrote:
> Wim,
> May I address you so?

Sure.

> [...]
> Just doing a quick and dirty #locate java shows a whole bunch of stuff
> such as versions of Blackdown, etc that were once pulled in through
> apptitude package manager. My thinking is perhaps to rename all the
> stuff listed in /usr/lib/jvm, /usr/share/java-package. Then do #updatedb
> and reinstall the sun-java6-jdk and see what happens.

Especially having the blackdown jre's around might be causing
problems. I'd try removing all of them(with aptitude) and then
reinstalling the sun one. Make sure you purge and don't just remove
them so all the config data gets removed as well.

Might be you can't purge the last java package (since something might
depend on it). In that case it's probably best to use dpkg with
--force-depends and --purge directly. Be careful when using the force
option and be sure to fix that dependency straight away by
reinstalling the packages you remove this way.

> Otherwise, I think this may be a lost case and will make me add a hard
> drive and do a minimal Debian testing installation then upgrade to SID
> and do a clean install of sun-java6-jdk bundle with netbeans. I would
> then just use this system (if it works) for my employers web start apps.
> Then reboot to this present system for the other work.

That will certainly work.

> I have downloaded a few .jnlp test apps. and will try them from the
> term. asap to see what errors are thrown. I'll report the results when I
> get them tested.

okay.

greets,
Wim