[Techtalk] grub

Mani A a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 14:25:35 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 7:11 AM, Robyn Willison <robyn at robynspcs.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 03:41 +0530, Mani A wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Robyn Willison <robyn at robynspcs.com> wrote:
>> > I have 3 os's on my desktop pc Vista, Ubuntu 8.04 and Debian from
>> > Scratch. How do I stop Ubuntu and Debian from fighting over Grub? If I
>> > update a Debian kernel then it uses it's own menu.lst file instead of
>> > the Ubuntu one which is the main one.
>> >
>> > Does this make sense to anyone?
>> >
>> Install the grub of Debian to its root partition and that of Ubuntu's
>> to the MBR.
>> Adjust the Ubuntu's grub.conf/menu.lst as you want. E.g chainload Debian's Grub
>>
> What is chainload and what do I have to put in menu.lst and where. The
> grub man files don't have anything on menu.lst

The easiest thing for you will be

Suppose Ubuntu is in (hd0,1) and Debian is in (hd0,2), then the Ubuntu
menu.lst should look like (uncommented part)

title		Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-21-generic
root		(hd0,2)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-generic root=UUID=..... ro quiet splash
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-21-generic
quiet

...more...

title Debian
root   (hd0,2)
chainloader +1

title Black Screen
rootnoverify       (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

#See /. for the 'black and blue' article

of course you must install the debian grub to its root partition.

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani