[Techtalk] o great audio geeks... USB a/d converters

Eeva Järvinen eevaj at welho.com
Fri Aug 15 06:23:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 08:31:40PM -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
>  What I'm doing is setting up both a PC-based recording studio, and
> a laptop for portable recording. y'all Ardour geeks are going to
> have to party without me; I'm using Audacity because it doesn't
> require a PhD in crazed interfaces :).

I'm right now in the process of buying some audio hardware for
laptop-based multitrack recording.  You might want to have a look (if
it's not way over your budget or the level of audio geekiness :D ) at
RME HDSP Cardbus interface plus a Multiface II: that's what I'm
planning to get.  It's got 8 x analog channels, one ADAT, one S/PDIF,
one mixing stereo output, one MIDI and one word clock for syncing, and
it seems to work with ALSA as far as I can tell.  I don't have any
idea of what it costs in the USA: on this side of the pond we're
talking 640€ for Multiface II and 300€ for the Cardbus i/f.  That'd be
way too much for my own, personal use, but I'll be buying it for work
and for that the price is not at all unreasonable.

If you're using that in Linux, I second the need for a low-latency
kernel.  I'm running Planet CCRMA kernels, mostly.

Eeva

--
Secretum meum mihi.