[Techtalk] Difficulties creating a MySQL database

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 03:15:53 UTC 2008

Thanks for your help, Sheila.

I complained again to my webhost and I don't know what they did, but
now phpMyAdmin will accept 'create view' statements.

Anyway. charging on to the next problem. :)

The last statement on the install notes was to do this:

mysql> GRANT ALL ON memberdb.* TO 'memberdb'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'pants';

In the config file there is also this line:
$config['db'] = "mysql://memberdb:pants@unix()/memberdb";

I think the mysql command is just granting permissions. So I had
already done that through cpanel, but I don't know what this
"IDENTIFIED BY 'pants'" thing is, and I need to change the config line
appropriately. But, I can't parse it, because memberdb is used twice,
I can't tell which one is the user and which one is the db name. So...
what's the "long" version of it basically?

thanks,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/