[Techtalk] USB wireless as an AP?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Apr 29 22:10:18 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 29 April 2008 12:14:44 pm Elwing wrote:
> Chix,
>
> I haven't ever tried using a USB wireless device under Linux, but I'm
> looking to create a separate wireless network off of my firewall
> (Debian w/IPtables), and "overcome" some of the rather poor design
> decisions of my current AP (Belkin).
>
> What I'm not sure of is if I can even find a good 802.11g (n whatever)
> USB wireless device that works under Linux, will I be able to
> configure the firewall to act as an AP?

Linux makes a dandy full-featured wireless access point, which the smart
owners of the Linux Networking Cookbook know. :) In fact I've been rolling my
own WAPS for years, because the commercial ones are overpriced under-featured
suckpits. You need a WIC that supports all wireless modes, not just the
client modes, and as far as I know that is only Atheros-based interfaces. I'm
not up on USB WICs, so you're on your own there. So the short story is, find
the right WIC and you can build yourself a good stout WAP that outperforms
most commercial models.

Another option is to flash your Belkin with DD-WRT or OpenWRT, which are both
open source firmware replacements for Linksys, Belkin, and other
consumer-level broadband routers/WAPs. The hardware in these little boxes is
generally OK; it's the software that they should be ashamed to let other
people see. Both sites have tables of supported devices.

Carla
--
Carla Schroder

many more Linux howtos at