[Techtalk] programming for beginners

Sara Falamaki falamaki at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 10:05:52 UTC 2008

Alice is another environment designed to teach programming:

http://www.alice.org/

It certainly looks like a lot of fun!

Personally I've never been a big fan of IDEs, but it might help to
look at the webpage of the programming language you want to learn.
IDLE has already been recommended for Python (and couldn't be much
worse than Eric...).

Although not exactly friendly to beginners, both [X-]Emacs and Vim
have some IDE type functionality. My current favourite combination is
cscope+gvim with tabs. I can even run make straight from my editor,
and it'll jump to error lines. What more could a girl want? ;-)

-S

--
Sara Falamaki
http://sara.falamaki.id.au