[Techtalk] Ubuntu and Windows Vista dual boot problems

Aneesha Govil popcorn09 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 17:54:18 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a dell inspiron 1420. It was running Windows Vista earlier and
a couple of days back I installed Ubunru 8.04 RC on it. I did the
automatic NTFS resizing since originally there was only one partition
with 140 GB. I made a 20GB partition on which I installed Ubuntu and
the rest remained NTFS with Vista.

The installation went fine, Ubuntu seemed to run fine. It was mounting
NTFS too. I tried downloading some files to the NTFS partition and it
all seemed fine.

Now when I booted into Vista, it gave an error saying that C: needs to
be checked for errors. It progressed fine, booted, etc. Now Vista
randomly crashes say when I am watching a video or downloading a file.
Moreover, the NTFS partition would no longer mount on Ubuntu. It gives
an error saying that cannot mount NTFS partition because the logfile
says that it was not shutdown cleanly. It shows to be still in use...
blah blah.

Can anyone shed light on what is wrong? Has the resizing messed the
partitions? Do I have any recourse except to format, partition, and
reinstall everything?

Please help!

Thanks,
Aneesha