[Techtalk] moving .mozilla to external drive

Magni Onsoien magnio+lc-techtalk at pvv.ntnu.no
Thu Apr 24 10:12:30 UTC 2008

On 2008-04-23 19:50:30 -0700, freepalestin at dslextreme.com said:
> I use Seamonkey to read my email.
>
> Is there a way to move .mozilla to an external drive and have access to my
> email on the external drive?
>
> I tried using mv and setting a symlink. That did not work. I tried
> having the .mozilla in my home directory and setting symlinks
> in the different account directories under the Mail directory. That didn't
> work either.
>
> I don't understand why this won't work. I'm not even queried for my
> passwords for my email accounts when I start mail under seamonkey.

Exactly how did you make the link? What does it point to (ls -l
$HOME/.mozilla)?

I have my .mozilla on a local disk in stead of on the NFS share (to minimize
the risk of some other user on the NFS share getting access to it), and it
works like a charm.

magnio at auchentoshan:~$ ls -ld $HOME/.mozilla
lrwxrwxrwx 1 magnio ansatt 40 2008-02-18 11:50 /home/ica/magnio/.mozilla -> /home/auchentoshan/magnio/mozilla-config/

Remember that the paths in the config file may be wrong if you don't
have the same file structure on all machines. You can use 'strace -e
open seamonkey' to get a (long) list of the files Mozilla is trying to
access during startup, and if it can't find the config files you will
get lots of "No such file or directory".

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.