[Techtalk] Need Suggestions: How To Multi-Language ?

Figaro ynegorp at charter.net
Mon Apr 14 04:54:16 UTC 2008

Kathryn Andersen wrote:
=============\ snip /=================================================
On this machine I always get a wmchooser dialog from a startx issue.

> You would need to choose the wm environment before you did startx,
> because running X with startx doesn't give you a gui login manager, it
> just starts X; you would need to set up an .xinitrc or .xclients file to
> tell X what applications to run, *including* the window manager.
==============/snip \===============================================
Yes that is what one intended to intimate was the thought process .

> I would have thought it would make more sense to set up the different
> users so that specific users always had a specific locale, so you
> wouldn't have to keep selecting the locale.  And likewise simpler to set
> up a different keyboard mapping for each specific user.
>
>>> B.  Use qingy rather than gdm/kdm/xdm as your login manager.
>>> http://qingy.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>> I'll certainly check this out. I have to use a commercial X-server (XiG
>> Accelerated-X Platinum Work Station X-server) due to special CAD/SIM
>> work and OpenGL work... so there may be some hurdles to get the
>> configuration set up correctly.. but should not be "un-doable".
>
> I don't know if you would have problems with that or not.

Neither do I. There are some hoops that needed jumping to get the
various font collections recognized as XiG has a unique directory
structure and attendant links. Therefore one assumes (perhaps
incorrectly) that "uniqueness" may be found here as well!

> Kathryn Andersen
Thank you,
matthew