[Techtalk] Thinkpad/Debian - T60p wireless...

Bethany Seeger seeger at prosensing.com
Wed Sep 19 15:23:49 UTC 2007

Ah, I didn't realize madwifi was for Atheros.  I've installed it and
have the module loaded, per their instructions. The part I'm confused
about now is how to get it configured.

These are my modules:

tweak:/etc# lsmod | grep ath
ath_pci                83008  0
ath_rate_sample        12992  1 ath_pci
wlan                  173820  2 ath_pci,ath_rate_sample
ath_hal               191664  2 ath_pci,ath_rate_sample

I put this entry in my etc/network/interfaces file:

auto ath0
iface ath0 inet dhcp
        wireless-essid our_essid
        wireless-key our_key

tweak:/etc# ifconfig ath0
ath0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

Not sure what I'm missing... maybe what I installed doesn't have the
right device driver?

-Bethany