[Techtalk] NFS mounted dir - strange behavior

Shirrell shirrell at pstat.com
Tue Sep 11 02:09:45 UTC 2007

Meryll Larkin wrote:
> I'd like to describe what is happening and then ask why.
>
> I have 2 *nix boxes, one is solaris (client), one linux (host).
>
> Linux1:/r1  is mounted onto
> Solaris1:/r1
>
> so that Solaris1 (which has insufficient hard drive space and can't be
> upgraded for reasons outside this topic) can make use of the space on Linux1
> for extra file storage.  The reason behind mounting it is for the ease of a
> cron job which copies and moves files from a directory on Solaris1 to
> Linux1.
>
> I had been having difficulty with copying and deleting files on the mounted
> dir from a cron job running on Solaris1.

we have 4 solaris boxes in an NFS network with 2 PC's running Linux and
XP.  Samba works fine moving things between solaris and Linux or XP.  We
have had trouble with permissions when copying files from one Solaris box
to another as a low level backup and then trying to see or to restore them.

There seems to be a difference between me as a user on box1 and me as a user on
box2 even though the NFS master server serves for both box1 and box2.

This has been most apparent with files that were created with read permission
for the owner only. To change permissions for such a file seems to require
that the user be logged onto the originating computer or, if that computer no
longer exists, su on the nfs master may be required.

I too would like to know just what these hierarchical rules are.

shirrell at pstat.com