[Techtalk] Resources about Technical Writing?

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Mon Oct 29 13:05:53 UTC 2007

On 10/28/2007 Carla Schroder wrote:
> Eh? Why would you say that? I write for system and network administrators, and
> no one would call my work man pages. Clear, well-organized howtos are equally
> important and valuable for all audiences.
>
> Carla

I didn't mean you write "man" pages, just that they read like man pages
to the average
home computer user. Your writing for people that basically know about
your subject.
For people that are just average home computer users it is mostly
gibberish. The basic
knowledge isn't there. I can read "clear, well-organized howtos" and not
have a clue
what the H___ they are talking about. The basic knowledge isn't there.

I don't think I'm a complete dummy when it comes to computers, however,
the only
education I have is from the School of Hard Knocks. [ Fdisk, Format,
Re-load 101 ]
I can make our home network work but if I read a book written for
network admins it's
hopeless. I used to assemble my own computers and set them up [ they are
so cheap
now that it's not really worth it unless your needing something special ].

I'm sure you your a very good technical writer. But for me they wouldn't
be worth it. I have
never seen two systems that set up the same. H___, I've had to reload
Kubuntu on this
computer twice now and each time it's different, using the same install
disk. Unless
you have a basic level of knowledge no how to is going to help if things
aren't the same
from setup to setup. It's not your fault, it's just how the world works.

(o:]>*HUGGLES*<[:o)
Billie Walsh