[Techtalk] Old Ultrasparc 5...

Benjamin A'Lee bma+lists at subvert.org.uk
Fri Oct 5 20:51:16 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 03:29:12PM -0400, Walt wrote:
> I just happened upon an old ultrasparc 5 at an auction
> in a lot of other junk... I know it's not worth much on
> ebay or anything, but is it worth dropping a little extra
> memory and a faster processor in? Can it do anything
> that a low-end Intel PC cannot?
>
> In other words, is it good for anything? :-)

I bought one cheap on ebay about a year back, and used it as a fileserver
for a while until one of the hard drives in it died. You may want more
memory in it, but otherwise it should be perfectly usable. It had a nice
keyboard, too (with Control in a sensible place).

Given a choice between an old PC and the Sun, I'd choose the Sun. I don't
know how well X11 would run on one, though, since I never bothered (apart
from anything else, the graphics card needed putting in a home).

--
Benjamin A'Lee <bma at subvert.org.uk>
http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/