No subject

Fri Nov 30 21:44:40 UTC 2007

see below

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:36:41 +0200
Wim wrote:

|> Hi,
|>
|> Finally saw something I can add to this discussion.
|>
|> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Anne Wainwright
|> <anotheranne at fables.co.za> wrote:
|> > Hi, Michelle,
|> >
|> > I have been sleeping on this one, read below.

|> >            Aartappel
|>
|> Aardappel
|>

|> > stranger and stranger, the item that i changed (added) was
|> >
|> > message=1 for linux or 3 for dos
|> >
|> > (idea was to give a prompt for the clueless slave working on that machine under Dos)
|> > (idea was to give a prompt without touching anything)
|>
|> I snipped everything else but this probably doesn't work because the
|> message option doesn't expect a message but a file that contains a
|> message. The error that you get ("Fatal: open 1: No such file or
|> directory") is because it is trying to open the file named "1" (it
|> truncates everything after the space) and finds it is unable to open
|> it. If you make a text file /boot/message or something and put your
|> message in there, then add a line message=/boot/message it should
|> work.

That made sense. I man'd lilo.conf and indeed I should have done exactly what you say. The message has to be in a file, and that file has to be referenced by a full path as Michelle noted. So I did that and on doing a '# lilo' up pops an error message:

Fatal: open vmlinuz:  no such file or directory

scary! I tried making the line in lilo.conf with the full name vmlinuz-2.2.19pre17 to get the same, so reverted to original wording.

Since I had done nothing except add the incorrect message line in the first place, I wonder if something is corrupted somewhere. As is my sole access to get stuff off the dos drive across the network on this machine I don't plan to do anything fancy or risky unless we have a sure-fire idea. A broken Lilo scares me stiff.

The odd thing is that the Tab still produces the wrong-way-round message (its 1 for linux and 3 for dos, and that is how it works as well)

"Dos    1        Linux      3"

bestest
Anne

|> greets,