[Techtalk] Mail Hosting

Raquel raquel at thericehouse.net
Thu Nov 29 02:47:52 UTC 2007

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:19:45 +0000
Figaro <ynegorp at charter.net> wrote:

> Raquel wrote:>
>

> > Matthew,
> >
> > The first thing to do is to check with Charter.net to see if
> > they will allow you to run a mail server on their system (on
> > your machine).  Many of the cable companies do not allow you
> > that.  Do they block port 25?
> >

> Charter claims not to block any ports, however running any of the
> online portscanners shows everything is hidden" or stealthy.
> I have used Firestarter in the past. Recently though it segfaults
> and I've not been able to find why or pertinent bug reports logged
> for it.
> #ps ax does not show it running... but I suppose that in as much
> #as it
> should run at boot up..?
> I'll read the /var/log/dmesg files to see what gives.
> Unless you suggest another more fool proof  verification.
>
> I suppose another viable option is a hosting company offering
> virtual server setups.. all the rage today. Or just a simple old
> fashioned hosted mail server.
> I would still like to edit my machine to reflect the purchased
> domain name and point the dhcp and dns stuff to be valid.
> Thank you,
> matthew

I don't know where you are, but perhaps a small, local ISP?
Sometimes they are willing to let you run your own servers where the
big companies are not.  They may even handle your DNS and host your
domain for you.

As you may notice, I'm trying to lead you away from running your own
mail server.  I've been running mail servers for several years.
Setting up the software is really quite easy, but it can be
difficult to setup so that you're not an open relay or compromised
in some other way.  There are all sorts of dangers of which you must
be aware and against which you must protect yourself if you want to
have a snowball's chance in hell of anyone accepting mail from your
server.

Before setting up your own server, I would suggest learning
everything you can about how mail is handled and what you must do to
protect yourself.  Once you've read and learned, then start looking
at how to set up the software.

--
Raquel