[Techtalk] Mail Hosting

R. Daneel Olivaw linuxchix at r-daneel.com
Tue Nov 27 21:43:52 UTC 2007

Hi there,

> Hello all.
> I was going to attempt to setup a mailserver to be able to quit using
> the not very well filtered services from my cable co.
> I thought to use postfix-dovecot-mysql (>
> http://workaround.org/articles/ispmail-etch/

postfix and dovecot already do the job, combined with spamassassin, it
gets quite efficient.

> So, one purchased/registered a domain name with idotz.net with dns but
> suddenly realized that I have NO clue how to get my system modified to
> used the domain name and dns.
> This is a Debian -Sid installation that has been setup and running for
> 2-3 years (first with dial-up, then dhcp for the cable modem) without
> a real qualified domain name (stand alone work station).
> (1): I have the registered domain name

good.

> (2): I have the purchased dns management login: with provided primary
> and secondary servers: BUT do not know what to do with it!

usually, you do nothing with it, but you'll have to add more records to
the zone once you know what you want to set up.

> (3): I have a dynamic DNS account with dnsexit.com and an ipUpdate
> daemon running for use to keep the domain name active as my cable ip
> address changes. Again not any good idea how to use it correctly.

That's ok also ...

> My questions:
> Does anyone know of a good tutorial or set of, that one may work
> through to understand the requirements to get this set up?
> OR
> Suggestions for a well run mail hosting service running Linux (pref.
> Debian) that I may purchase to host my mail with my domain name? I
> honestly do not need the ability to handle more than 3 mailboxes.

I know this is not polite, but I'll answer with a couple of questions:
1/ do you REALLY want to handle your email yourself ? I mean: do you
want to run a mailserver that needs to be online 24/7 to get mail ?

2/ is this gonna grow beyond the 3 mailboxes someday ?

3/ are you looking for a test case to get experience or do you need
just your 3 mailboxes running ?

Once these questions answered, I (we) may point you in the right
direction :)

Read you soon,

R. Daneel Olivaw,
The Human Robot Inside.