[Techtalk] How do I limit my oracle resultset to 100 rows

Tricia Bowen tricia.bowen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 19:59:47 UTC 2007

Thanks for the help.

The rownum <=100 did the trick. I couln't get the 'limit' function to work.
It gave me a "SQL Command not properly ended" error. I didn't check to see
if it was available in Oracle 9i. Here is how I tried using it:

SELECT * FROM contact c

where c.name like 'A%'

order by c.LAST_NAME

limit 10
--Tricia

On Nov 9, 2007 1:06 PM, Kathryn Hogg <kjh at flyballdogs.com> wrote:

> Tricia Bowen wrote:
> > Help!
> > I have a query that returns over 10,000 rows. It's a pretty sizable
> query
> > so
> > it takes a while to run. How do I limit the number of rows returned to
> > 100?
>
> if its oracle 8i or newer, use the SQL standard by adding "row_number <=
> 100" to your where clause.
>
> if its an older version of oracle, replace row_number with rownum
>
> --
> Kathryn
> http://womensfooty.com

--Tricia