[Techtalk] Amarok not working on Feisty Fawn!

R. Daneel Olivaw linuxchix at r-daneel.com
Fri May 11 18:48:36 UTC 2007

Hi there,

> I did a clean install of Feisty Fawn a few days back. I then installed
> amarok music player. it worked on initial launch, but seemed quite
> slow. now it fails to launch at all. when i click on the icon from
> the menu, it doesn't launch. when i try to open it from command line,
> it doesn't launch either. when i do a ps -e on the command line, it
> shows that the process is still there, but i dont know how to get
> more information, and am not sure how to proceed.
> please help.
> thanks

Usually, I got such behaviours from multimedia apps when they can't
hook on the output device.

Try it after bootup, before using any sound application, so amarok runs
at least once. Then try assigning the correct audio engine (I have
xine) in the options.

If you can't launch it at all, try removing files in
'/home/{username}/.kde/share/apps/amarok/' so amarok initializes his
settings (if you want to recover your configuration files, back them up
instead of deleting).

As far as I can see, this may help ... unless you have problems with
your audio setup.

Read you soon,

R. Daneel Olivaw,
The Human Robot Inside.