[Techtalk] Using weekly backup disk to store partial full backup as well?

R. Daneel Olivaw linuxchix at r-daneel.com
Sat Mar 31 20:35:52 UTC 2007

Hi there,

While I was trying to find a solution to your problem, I ran across
some ways, but this would need heavy list comparing and in my mind
it ended up being more trouble than help. More over, restoring of files
would turn into some kind of nightmare ...

I'd suggest something really different:
one external usb drive (this may seem expensive, but compared to the
advantages, it may turn out much cheaper), mounted as ext3
filesystem. After that, use the *amazing* opensource "rsnapshot" tool.
This will alow you to have on your external drive a set of incremental,
totally accessible, fast and transportable backups.
- backup is fast
- backup is automatic
- backup can have as many increments (daily, weekly, monthly,
yearly ...) as you need, in a flexible manner (daily, plus 4 weekly,
plus 6 monthly, plus 1 yearly, ...)
- restoring is as easy as accessing the original data on your computer
- data is stored only once. any file that hasn't changed from one
'snapshot' to another is just hard-linked from the previous backup.
Means that you will have only one copy of each and any file you backed
up at any time.

The only drawback is that it cannot compress data (but this may be
achieved whith compressing filesystems, a thing I never tried out).
Besides, if yuo have too many files changing all the time, you may run
out of disk space, but with nowadays disk sizes, this should not be a
big trouble.

Now, if you insist on finding a dvd-backup solution, you may use the
same tool (rsnapshot) to make a local backup of your files (on the same
disk) and try progressivly to backup unchanged data from the snapshot
directory.

Well, I hope that helped anyway ;)

R. Daneel Olivaw,
The Human Robot Inside.