[Techtalk] Starting apps with keyboard in Gnome

Conor Daly conor.daly-linuxchix at cod.homelinux.org
Sun Mar 25 23:38:28 UTC 2007

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 07:05:31PM +0100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
David Sumbler thought:

> Because she is the sort of person who tends to get frightened by unusual
> behaviour from the computer, and seems to find it difficult to follow a
> sequence of instructions, I thought that I would install a script on her
> machine, with the line "killall evolution", and set up a hotkey to
> activate it - e.g. Ctrl-Alt-E.  (Remember, she can't use the mouse on
> these occasions, so it has to be activated from the keyboard.)

According to 'man inittab', this is possible.  Limiting its action to a
single user may be a bit harder though you could script that.

kbrequest
      The process will be executed when init receives  a  signal from
      the  keyboard handler that a special key combination was pressed
      on the console keyboard.

      The documentation for this function is not  complete  yet; more
      documentation can be found in the kbd-x.xx packages (most recent
      was kbd-0.94 at the time of this writing). Basically you want to
      map  some  keyboard  combination to the "KeyboardSignal" action.
      For example, to map Alt-Uparrow for this purpose use the follow-
      ing in your keymaps file:

      alt keycode 103 = KeyboardSignal

> Can this be done in Gnome?  I can't seem to find how to do set keys to
> issue particular commands.

Don't know about this..

What about:

1. <CTRL><ALT><F1>