[Techtalk] spf and mail

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Fri Mar 16 22:17:00 UTC 2007

Mary Gardiner wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2007, Maria McKinley wrote:
>> Somehow forwarding the mail to our mail server bypasses this check or
>> forges this check or checks with the planet mars to find out we don't
>> have an SPF record, when really we do.  Anyone know enough about
>> forwarded mail to venture a guess as to how this is happening and/or
>> how to fix it?
>
> I haven't been able to follow your problem exactly, but it's not this
> problem is it? SPF doesn't like it if the intermediate fowarding step
> doesn't re-write the sender address.
>
> http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Forwarding
>
> Unfortunately, all the fixes are at the forwarding step, which is the
> bit you say is outside your infrastructure :(
>
> -Mary

Sounds like you followed it pretty well to me! Thanks! I think this is
exactly my problem. The offender is the University of Washington, and
they have already told me that they have no intention of publishing an
SPF record, and I expect they won't be any more enthusiastic about
re-writing the sender address. So, is there a way to figure out what
mail has been forwarded and exclude it from SPF testing? The email link
of Stuart Gathman's opinion seemed to imply this was possible, but
didn't explain how. Any ideas?

thanks,
maria