[Techtalk] Init 2 -> hang on "Starting IRQ Balance"?

Leslie Vincent lvincent at dtcc.edu
Wed Mar 14 22:40:53 UTC 2007

I'm teaching Linux using fedora core 6. Our book includes a lab to show
students the results of changing run levels. When I tested the lab,
after I ran init 2, it rebooted but then permanently hung up when it
got to "Starting IRQBalance." I did a reboot (just ctrl-alt-del) and
every time after I rebooted, the init 2 worked just fine.

However, my students aren't having such luck - they reboot and it just
keeps on hanging. I had to tell them to just skip the lab, though I'd
like to have a better idea of what was causing this and how to fix it,
both to tell them and for when I teach it next semester.

Thanks!

Leslie Vincent
CIS Instructor
Delaware Tech