[Techtalk] Screenshots and Movie Player

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Fri Jun 15 05:36:06 UTC 2007

priya venkateshan wrote:
> Hi, all
> Sometimes when i watch videos, i pause it and take a screenshot of a cool
> camera angle, or a close-up of a star's face or suchlike things. While this
> works fine on Windows, it doesn't work when i try the same with Movie Player
> which comes along with Ubuntu Feisty Fawn. I get a shot of the entire screen
> where everything is fine except that the area playing the video is blank.
> while this doesn't inconvenience me greatly, im curious to know why this
> happens only on linux and not on windows, and if there is a possible way to
> remedy it.
> any ideas?

Hi Priya,

I believe it has to do with whether the video overlays directly onto the
screen or whether the operating system buffers it first. This is the
same in MSWindows too. From my understanding (admittedly not very
complete) the hardware acceleration of most video cards can be used to
give faster output using overlay. In most cases this isn't really
necessary as modern machines are more than fast enough to give smooth
playback without it. There should be some way to change the setting,
either in the video player program or in your computer's video settings.
I don't have Ubuntu so I can't help directly.

I'm pretty sure I'm correct about this, but I'm no video guru, so see
what some of the other chix have to say.

Cheers,

	- Miriam