[Techtalk] mutt, mbox mailboxes, FC6 and noticing new mail

Eeva Järvinen eevaj at welho.com
Thu Jun 14 19:12:03 UTC 2007

Hi all,

My mutt has been behaving oddly as of late; in fact, post-upgrading to
a new computer and FC6 from FC3.  I just copied my .muttrc,
.procmailrc and the rest of mail-related configuration stuff over, and
started using the system.  However, mutt doesn't seem to recognise
there's new mail in mailboxes.  Or it does, but intermittently, and
there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why.

My .muttrc and .procmailrc have worked perfectly for years with only
minor tweaks (I pilfered both originally from Telsa: thank you very
much!).  The only thing I'v changed in my mail setup when changing
computers was starting to run fetchmail daemon as a separate user from
a startup script.  fetchmail routes incoming stuff to sendmail, which
then gives it to procmail, which, nicely enough, sorts and
spam-filters it with spamassassin.

This is very strange (and irritating: I like my computers neat and
tidy with everything in perfect order.  Okay, the mail system at
least).  Can anyone help?

Eeva