[Techtalk] connecting to network after bootup

Conor Daly conor.daly-linuxchix at cod.homelinux.org
Thu Jun 14 17:51:54 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 09:38:46AM -0700 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
drichter at fastmail.fm thought:
> I have a laptop computer that uses DHCP under Fedora. When I plug it
> into a network (that supports DHCP) and boot it, it connects to the
> network. But if I plug it into the network after it has booted, it
> doesn't connect. What set of commands will connect it without rebooting?

As root, 'ifup eth0' will start the network interface but other things
that might have depended on the network being up will not have started up
correctly.  It might be sufficient to do: 'service network restart' but
I'm not sure that that would be enough.

I would be inclined to do 'telinit 1' followed by 'telinit 5' which should
start everything in the correct order.

OTOH, if you were suspended and don't want to kill the session, you would
have to identify which services depend on the network.  In my case, the
home desktops use DHCP for network, NIS for authentication and nfs for
home directories.  I would have to restart all of these services and do
'mount -a' to ensure the nfs filesystems were mounted.

Conor
--
Conor Daly <conor.daly at cod.homelinux.org>
http://www.geekcode.com/ http://www.ebb.org/ungeek/