[Techtalk] Linux game programming

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Jul 18 05:59:19 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 17 July 2007 17:42:46 Miriam English wrote:
> Carla Schroder wrote:
> > I want to learn to write a few games my own self. Cool fun games that
> > have no guns, cars, drugs, or hos, and that don't need super-duper 3D
> > video. What do you think would be some good tools and languages to create
> > some fun games in? I think Frozen-Bubble is done in Perl, and Tetris sure
> > didn't need the DOOM engine in its original release.
>
> Hi Carla,
>
> I'm working on some stuff using python + pygame + pyOpenGL + pyODE.

That all sounds good! I wasn't too thrilled with the suggestion of PyGTK
because GTK apps are ugly and user-unfriendly. I don't know if that's a
limitation of the toolkit or the coders, I just don't like 'em. :)

> Another thing I've become fascinated with lately, is RenPy, which is a
> python+pygame based program for creating interactive, visual stories
> (they are generally called games, but I consider them interactive
> fiction) known as Ren'ai ("Ren'ai" is Japanese for romance). One of the
> things that I love about this is the high proportion of women involved
> in their creation and consumption. But perhaps that shouldn't be so
> surprising as the stories focus upon relationships and personality
> rather than killing and conquest.

No killing? No conquest? No women as trophies? Wow. That sounds soooo weird. I
always wanted to be a battle trophy. :P

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions!

--
Carla Schroder