[Techtalk] auto email with attachments

R. Daneel Olivaw linuxchix at r-daneel.com
Thu Jul 5 20:45:02 UTC 2007

Hi there,

Le Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:09:58 -0700
"gossamer axe" <gsmraxe at gmail.com> a écrit:

> I was curious if anyone has done this.  I want to auto email with
> attachments (pictures) using the mail app.  So say I have a directory
> with 5 pictures
>
> mustang1.jpg
> mustang2.jpg
> mycar.jpg
> mydog.jpg
> mycat.jpg

In fact, no, I didnt try that kind of thing exactly, but ...

> and I want to auto email these to an email address without having to
> send each one by hand.  I was thinking of a script with a pause in it
> with sleep. I have to send these one at a time for yahoos file size
> limit.
>
> for file in *
> do
> sleep 60
>
> I've looked at the mail man page but didn't see anything about adding
> file attachments with mail.
>
> thank you!

What you're looking for is a command line tool to send emails that
contain attachements.

I ran into this trouble some time ago, and finished up with building
the mime content myself through à dirty script ...

Lately, however, I was delivered from this pain by a perl script called
"sendEmail".
This little script understands several options on the command line,
multiple attachements, knows when you want html in the email body and
so on ...

I was dreaming of it, and open source did it !

http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/

Hope this helps you out ;)

R. Daneel Olivaw,
The Human Robot Inside.