[Techtalk] Running vmware or similar on remote dedicated server at good price

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 02:29:36 UTC 2007

On 1/30/07, Mary Gardiner <mary at puzzling.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2007, Kelly Jones wrote:
> > Where can I rent a fairly decent dedicated server at a good price and
> > put vmware (or virtuozzo or xen or any free virtualization software)
> > on it, so that I can have multiple virtual machines?
>
> Can you let us know: preferred geographical location (if any), what kind
> of support you want (support for failed hardware? support for software
> problems? 24 hour?), what kind of downtime is acceptable and ideally
> your price range? All these things help when recommending servers.

Mary,

Thanks! I hadn't thought about those questions. Answers:

Preferably in the USA/Canada, just for latency issues (I'm in the USA
myself).

Only really need hardware support and the occasional reboot (if the
host machine totally hangs or dies). No software support. Their job
would be to keep the machine reachable remotely-- everything else
would be my responsibility.

I'd be interested in additional pricing for daily rsync backups of the
virtual server images, but that's not a requirement-- I can do it
myself if they can't

No uptime guarantee required -- this would just be a fun server that
wouldn't have to be high-availability or anything. I won't lose money
when its down, so I don't need 99% uptime or anything like that

Price range is the one question I can't answer: I can get decent VPSs
for $15/month (and actually some even cheaper) and I've seen tolerable
dedicated servers for as low as $30/month (but $50/month is more
standard).

Since I'm looking for a dedicated server to put 3-4 virtual servers
on, I expect a $50/month server won't cut it (but, if it will, great!).

My ideal price (may be unachievable) is $15/month times the number of
virtual servers I can reasonably put on the box.