[Techtalk] remote connection to windows machine

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Wed Jan 31 01:54:29 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 09:49:49 +0100, Magni Onsoien wrote:

> Windows 2003 and Windows XP professional include the Remote Desktop
> Service, which uses the Remote Service Protocol. The service need to be
> enabled, and the firewall may need to be configured to allow traffic to
> 3389/tcp on the server.

rdestop works pretty well, and is uses much less bandwidth than vnc.
Allowing it through the firewall isn't very secure though (especially if
you don't have a static IP address at home); I'd recommend either port
forwarding over ssh or through a vpn.

Cheers,

John
--
Typically you'll find that the coke machine and/or the coffee pot is
what's  plugged into the UPS, and the routers all spun down when the