[Techtalk] irregular monitor flicker

chris lists at semioticpixels.com
Thu Jan 25 22:52:00 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 15:16 -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
>  What else can I investigate?

If you're monitor is on a UPS, UPS batteries do go bad eventually,
especially if you have dirty power. While that theoretically shouldn't
affect the surge protection component of the UPS, in my experience when
a UPS goes, problems start. My 100+ year old house has dirty power and I
had a catastrophic hard drive failure last summer when my UPS failed.

There's a thing you can use to clean up dirty power - my partner uses it
in her music studio ... but I don't remember what it is. I'll ask if
you're interested. My computers are fine with a good UPS though since I
have no need to clean up the noise that emits from electrical wiring.

-chris