[Techtalk] Gnome wireless manager?

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 22:19:52 UTC 2007

On 1/23/07, Telsa Gwynne <hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> Ar Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 01:12:47PM -0800, ysgrifennodd Carla Schroder:
> > >
> > > NetworkManager is your friend (you may need NetworkManager-gnome for the
> > > applet)

> > Apparently there is no timeout; I left it for an hour and it kept running the
> > whole time, hammering both hard drive and CPU. Why the hard drive? Another
> > Gnome mystery. I managed to whack-a-mole it until some actual configuration
> > windows appeared and then got it set up. Is it supposed to be so elusive?
> > This is on FC6.
>
> Local Fedora guru asks why it might be hammering the disc, because he
> doesn't think it should be. He is curious whether there is anything in
> dmesg or syslog about this. And says that perhaps its the hardware,
> (but he likes to blame the hardware).
>
> (Happy new year and all that, btw :))

This makes me think of a paper[1] which got some attention a while
back. The author was interested in just how much disks were polling
the harddisk and stat'ing files (to optimize it) and he came up with
some amazingly depressing results. It's an interesting read if you
have the time.

greets,
Wim

[1] https://ols2006.108.redhat.com/reprints/jones-reprint.pdf -
 "Why Userspace Sucks—Or 101 Really Dumb Things Your App Shouldn't Do"