[Techtalk] character directionality hack

John Stoneham lyric.techtalk at lyrically.net
Thu Jan 18 18:58:56 UTC 2007

> So there's an actual character that controls directionality? I had thought
> that was a formatting issue, handled by the container depending on the
> particular charset and encoding. Interesting, I can definitely google on
> that.

It's more an intrinsic-to-the-text issue than a formatting issue - you can't
guarantee one container/control will only have one directionality. You need
the internal control characters, for example, in case you are mixing LTR and
RTL text - e.g., embedding Arabic quotations in the midst of running English
text, where the entire thing might be in UTF-16 which could support all the
characters.

- John