[Techtalk] kicking unwanted users off the network

Meredydd Luff meredydd.luff at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 17 11:52:30 UTC 2007

On 1/17/07, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
> No more? Sheesh, what an evil-deficient lot you are!

Once upon a time, when most of the world was still vulnerable to
attacks such as Teardrop and the Ping of Death, you could get little
utilities that would launch whichever of these nasties you specified
at a particular IP. A rather BOFH-like admin at my school, where games
were verboten, used to run a daemon on one of the school servers that
responded to Quake "looking for a server" packets by throwing
everything it had at the originating IP.

Other options include ARP spoofing, in which you broadcast-spam the
network with a faked ARP response, identifying your computer's MAC
address as corresponding to the victim's IP. Most machines will accept
this, and thenceforth send all traffic intended for the victim to you
instead. The truly malicious then sniff packets before forwarding them
to the appropriate destination, but if you don't do any forwarding, I
suspect this might prevent anyone from connecting to the victim.

For the serious, I'm sure Maria will have the Correct Solution with
managed switches and the like, but sometimes the guerilla hack has its
own charm...

Meredydd